Monday, January 30, 2006

A favorite recipe



I took this photo for a circle journal group that I'm in and love how it turned out. The title and border were done in Photoshop.

Here's the recipe:
Sweet & Spicy Lentil Chili
2 tbsp. butter
1 stalk (1/2 cup) celery, chopped
1 small (1/3 cup) onion, chopped
1 small (1/2 cup) green pepper, chopped
2 tsp. chopped garlic
1 cup dried lentils
1 cup water
1-28oz. can beef broth
1-28oz. can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
1 small winer squash, peeled, cut into 1-in. pieces
1 small (2 cups) sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1-in. pieces
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
Sour Cream
Cilantro

Melt butter in saucepan, until sizzling. Add celery, onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook over medium-high heath until onion is softened (3-4 minutes). Add all remaining ingredients (except sour cream and cilantro). Continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil (7-10 minutes). Reduce heat to low. Cover. Cook until lentils are tender, about 1 hour. Serve with sour cream and cilantro.

I often add carrot to the recipe as well. And I've never been able to find diced tomatoes with jalapenos so I just add the jalapenos separately. This recipe is SOOOOO delicious! I've served it many times and always had compliments on it!

I made it last night and am now enjoying some for my lunch so thought I would share with my blog readers!

7 Comments:

Blogger Leigh Penner said...

Sounds good-- very healthy sounding, too. I'm going to have to try this one! Thanks for sharing, Heather!!

12:16 PM  
Blogger JewelsC said...

YUM, sounds delicious!! I am gonna have to give it a try!! TFS :)

5:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome photo!! Looks like a good recipe, but nothing my dh would touch!

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious Heather! I love chili!

9:11 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

We always do chili for Superbowl Sunday and I was searching for a recipe that is WW friendly. I may just have to do this one for me.

Thanks for sharing it with us, and that photo just meakes it even yummier!!!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Tyler and Melinda said...

A favourite at my house, too. I love this recipe. Try serving it with biscuits or over brown rice. So delicious. I have a few others I'll have to share with you that recently became part of my collection, including a great curry I made last night. Can't wait to come to your place to cook together.
Miss you!

12:03 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I am drooling over that photo!! Looks like something out of a magazine!! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I look forward to trying it soon!

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home