Sunday, February 26, 2006

but oh so worth it...

I meant to add that to the end of my last post. I love running. It truly is my stress release. It's my time to think, pray, dream, forget, let-go, sing (okay, not outloud, that takes too much energy ;) ), just whatever I need to do. I started running when I was in Grade 3. My parents put me in track when I was 8 years old. I continued with it until I finished high school. Most of my friends were from track during that time. We spent a lot of time on the road, traveling to and from track meets. I have a lot of fond memories from that period in my life. When I went to university, for my first year, I competed with their cross country team. My second year of university I went to a different university and was training for the cross country season, hoping to try-out for their track team but unfortunately I injured myself and stopped running for a period of time altogether. During that time I re-evaluated why I ran, what I wanted, who I was, etc. It had always been a dream of mine to go to the Olympics but I decided, with some sadness and a sense of loss, that it wasn't meant to be and I needed to decide if I wanted to continue running at all. Thankfully, I started to miss it - A LOT. And I realized that running was something that had become such a huge part of me, a part of who I was, that I needed to start running again. So I did. And I'm still running. But now I run for me, for fun, for exercise, and for lots of other reasons too. And truth be told, it's not always easy to get out for a run. There are lots of days when I would rather stay inside, do other things, make excuses, be lazy but when I actually get out and start running, I feel so much better. And there are also days that running is hard, I'm out of shape, can't go as far as I would like, feel like I'm pulling a trailer behind me, have trouble breathing but I keep going because I know those days are few. There are many more days where I enjoy my runs, where I experience peace and satisfaction and just feel so much better because I ran. So I keep on going.

6 Comments:

Blogger Just Rhonda said...

well I admire you for that! Running is sooo not for me. But I am so glad to hear that you enjoy it so much. That is wonderful. (And you should put that on a scrapbook page!)

1:38 PM  
Blogger Leigh Penner said...

Good for you, Heather! I'm glad you have found something that you enjoy so much (& is so good for you!!) Thanks so much for sharing about why you run.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I can't run worth beans but I so wish I could have kept up with my rowing!! It's an expensive sport!

I think you're amazing doing a such big competitions.

Yep needs to be on a scrapbook page if it isn't already (I know you did one page on running already).

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, sister!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Tyler and Melinda said...

It is a huge part of our lives, isn't it. I was telling Tyler the other night about how much you run; how you started with Leduc Track, competed at Augustana, and have been running ever since. I admire your determination and commitment. I love that we share this love, and how it is our stress release. Those tough days aren't anywhere close to the satisfaction and feeling afterwards. I'm coming home to run with you. Save a few days for me.
Love you,
Melinda

6:18 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

So inspiring to read what you feel when you run! There must be such a freedome about it, time alone & to clear your head! Good for you!

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home