Thursday, March 15, 2007

Race Against Time

My mom loaned me a book in February. It's called Race Against Time by Stephen Lewis. This book is heart-breaking & gut-wrenching. It's about the AIDS pandemic in Africa. Stephen Lewis is a Canadian who is also the United Nations' Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa. I have never felt so sick reading a book before. I have never read a book that has fired me up so much. I have never read a book that has changed me the way this book has. I think everyone should read this book. When I started reading this book, I didn't know what our church was up to. Seriously, this was God, working in me, starting something. This weekend, our church is renting out the Crowfoot Cineplex Odeon - the entire theatre for a campaign called Compassion in Action. We will be listening to a message from U2's Bono and Bill Hybels, the Senior Pastor at Willowcreek Church in Illinois, on this crisis in Africa. Talk about timing. Our church is doing something very cool regarding this afterwards. They've pledged $50,000 towards this crisis, which really is what this situation is. But instead of directly giving this money, they are using it as seed money, giving it to the small groups in our church, who are going to use it to spread the word in creative ways and use the money to make more money, like an investment. I feel humbled to be a part of this, yet also excited. What can we do? What will happen? I can't wait to find out. If you happen to be around this weekend, you are absolutely welcome to come to the theater and hear this message. The word desperately needs to be spread. I will keep you informed as to what happens with this campaign. I am excited to see what God will do.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tyler and Melinda said...

Wow! God's timing is so amazing, and perfect, even when we don't see it. I would love to hear the message this weekend. You'll have to fill me in. God's so mighty and able to do the most amazing this when we trust and give our all to him. I will be praying for you this weekend to know clearly your role and purpose in this work. Read Psalm 73:23-26.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I'm really excited about this too! I really resonate with the church's vision about this and sharing this with people outside the church has been a very positive experience. I'm glad you're jazzed and I'm thinking I should find myself that book!

11:35 AM  
Blogger MonaS! said...

thats amazing!!! It's so neat the way God talks to us and gets our attention isn't it?! I'll be praying for this event and hope that it blossoms into something that will really make a difference

12:37 PM  
Blogger Just Rhonda said...

I have that book too. I went to hear Stephen Lewis talk. he came to talk to the med students. It was amazing AND so sad. It is so good that you are helping others so far away. Very very Christlike to think about others in such a big way.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

What an amazing thing to happen at this time! Stacy Julian talked about this on her blog just a few weeks ago - how things all fall into place at the right time. I wish I could come and hear the speakers. Will they have a DVD of the event? Let me know if one is available. Good luck with the project. Let us know how it goes. ((( HUGS ))

10:45 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Gooch said...

I will have to read that book! God is so amazing! Thanks for sharing Heather, I love to hear how God is working in other people and other churches right here and all over the world. Please keep us updated and we will be praying. We never realized how serious the Pandemic was in South Africa until we saw the billboards all over (just like no smoking campaigns here) and the day that we arrived a 9 month old baby girl was raped by a man that had AIDS right up the street from where we were staying. The belief is that if they have sex with a virgin their AIDS will be cured. We felt sick. We felt helpless and bewildered--how could they believe such a myth and do such a horrible thing to a sweet, innocent, tiny little girl. We felt like there was no hope, especially when people could do something that cruel. What an important cause! We know that God does work in amazing ways and that there is always hope when He is involved.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

God's timing is perfect for sure. I just recently had revelation that I was to help provide some needed supplies for a missions trip to Africa. Then I got an email about 2 weeks later with a list of stuff to find. God works in many ways!! I pray that all goes well with the "investment"

2:31 PM  
Blogger ~Carla~ said...

It is so heartbreaking! :( I pray you're able to make a difference!!

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home